There are many ways that a Philly Fellow can help your agency increase its capacity and better carry out its mission:
- Fellows work full-time for one year in a position created by the agency to add new programs, resources, and capacity.
- Agencies can reapply to host a new fellow in a continuation of their projects for up to three years total.
- Fellows are selected from a highly competitive pool of graduating college seniors, each of whom come into the fellowship with significant service and leadership experience. We average around 120 applications for 15 fellowship slots.
- Thanks to this competitiveness, candidates who are selected for the fellowship have outstanding academic records, excellent communication skills, significant service and leadership experience, and the ability to make an immediate impact at their host agencies.
- Agencies will contribute just $15,000 per year to host a fellow, and are not responsible for covering costs such as healthcare, employer benefits, or other insurance.
- Agencies have the opportunity to interview each fellow interested in working there and provide feedback on who would be the best fit. Agencies typically interview 3-5 candidates, and final matches are made by Philly Fellows staff.
- Philly Fellows provides regular professional-development, leadership-development, and networking opportunities throughout the year to improve the fellows’ skills and connections and increase their value to our partner agencies.
- Philly Fellows handles all AmeriCorps VISTA application and reporting processes.
What do our previous and current host agencies have to say?
“The Philly Fellow provides an excellent source of support for our small non-profit. The fellows are always smart, well-prepared, and able to hit the ground running with projects and assisting with office operations. Additionally, the fellows understand their role in a year of service, and are therefore very eager to make a positive impact not only on the organization but the community it serves!” ~After School Activities Partnerships
“Participating in Philly Fellows was an incredibly positive experience for us and greatly increased our organizational capacity. Our Philly Fellow was a tremendous asset to us, and we look forward to working with the program going forward.” ~Community Partnership School
“Philly Fellows has been absolutely fabulous for us. Due to the high caliber of all three of our fellows, we have been able to accomplish much more and grow more rapidly than we would have otherwise.” ~Energy Coordinating Agency
“[Our fellow] has been a valuable addition to our team. Over the past year she has successfully managed large and complex projects, leading teams of staff and volunteers. She has also cheerfully and creatively contributed as a team player, assisting multiple departments within Financial Development. [She] has shown tremendous growth over the course of this year, and her next organization will be lucky to have her.” ~American Red Cross, SE PA Chapter
“Having [the fellow’s] eye on every aspect of our public presentation – all material that is seen by any member of our broad constituency – helped us to streamline our image and our messages.” ~Philadelphia Young Playwrights
“The fellow did a great job engaging and relating to the youth. Her energy and skill helped us secure increased funding to support the work we do to promote youth leaders.” ~Juvenile Law Center
“[Our fellow] helped tell the story of our clients, those most in need in our community, to ensure that key stakeholders, donors, and volunteers felt connected to our core mission as well as our individual clients.” ~Philadelphia VIP